Guiding And Tackle Sales

You will find attached to the blog contact deatil for my new guiding and tackle business. The tackle will be supplied by the biggest names in lure fishing including, ultimate fishing, sakura, lucky craft, IMA and Slug Go.

The guiding service is based on twenty years experience fishing this coast line and I think that the pictures speak for themselves. This service is suited to both the very experienced and the novice. For those just starting out there will lots of tips on lures etc and water craft info and always the chance of a clonker!!! That's why they call it fishing.

My aim is for you to have a really memorable days fishing, on what I consider to be some of the most beautiful and productive grounds our little country has to offer..

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fish Photography


As there is very little fishing happening at the mo and there is only so much I can think and talk about tackle before I go nuts I thought a change as good as a rest when this topic occurred to me this morning as I leafed through old copies of sea angler etc over morning coffee.

I tried to imagine what it would be like for someone with no interest in fishing who pickled up one of these magazines and leafed through it, what would they see? Well lots of things, cover stories, tackle articles, competitions and lots of pictures of dead fish. People holding dead fish in their kitchen, or in front of their garage (a personal favourite of mine), you know the kind of shots I'm on about, one's where the fish have been dead a while and lost their natural shine, bass in particular look terrible at this stage.

I have no objection to people keeping a fish or two for themselves, in fact if you fish solely for food then fair play to you it really is none of my business as long as people adhere to by laws they will get no guff from me but surely the powers that be in the magazine world can see that these pictures do nothing to promote our sport. Neither am I suggesting that we all need to turn into Henry Gilbey and take outstanding bass photographs (fair play Henry keep up the good work) but a few less of these types of photos and more taken at the beach, pier, headland or on the boat where the fish where caught would be nice. I think it would paint a far nicer and closer to the truth picture for anyone who happened upon one of these issues and had a bit of an auld read.

6 comments:

Tim Griffin said...

Exactly right there Patrick - I agree totally. The "trophy" shot you often get taken at home (the one in/by the kitchen sink is my bug bear)is somewhat distasteful in my view - the fish are clearly dead, dull eyed and lifeless. Yes, I do keep some of my catch to feed my family, but I always ensure I have a digital camera with me to take the best possible pictures of our captures regardless of whether they are returned (the majority) or kept. The sheen and colour of a bass is lost the instant it is dispatched.
The editors should bear this is in mind. I just bought Sea Angler today, and a photo of an angler gurning above a line of dead whiting did nothing to impress me at all.
Why so quiet your end then, Patrick - the weather or lack of clients?

patrick said...

Tim, one as a result of the other, the business is there just the conditions have been so poor, SE gale up until yeserday, but off first thing in the moring, would have fished today but I knew I was guiding in the morning nad likr to try stay fresh its a long day! Cheers

Patrick

spud said...

couldin agree with you more pat there is no need what so ever for takin pics of dead fish in your garden or kithen does nothing for the sport at all,there is nothing better than seen that nice shiney sliver bar gliding back into the sea,see you monday pat looking foreard to it.

Spitfire66 said...

Keep em in the water eh Pat :)

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x1/Spitfire_66/?action=view&current=CIMG2892.flv

patrick said...

Pity the fishing wascancelled man, but we are close very close to some serious winter fishing so just be paitent and we will nail the big ones! Then return them of course!

spud said...

No probs man, these things happen looking forward to gettin out soon, by the way if the fishin is as good as this site it should be top class,keep up the good work mate